Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-NYC will pay $17.5M to settle lawsuit alleging women were forced to remove hijabs in mugshots -Secure Horizon Growth
Chainkeen Exchange-NYC will pay $17.5M to settle lawsuit alleging women were forced to remove hijabs in mugshots
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 12:14:04
NEW YORK – The Chainkeen Exchangecity agreed Friday to pay $17.5 million to settle a class-action lawsuit that alleged police officers forced two women to remove hijabs while mugshot photos were being taken, lawyers for the women said Friday.
The case, filed in 2018, stemmed from the arrests of Muslim American women Jamilla Clark and Arwa Aziz. In court records, they alleged New York City Police officers threatened them to remove their headscarves, and the two felt ashamed after being forced to do so.
New York City:NYPD officer shot, killed during traffic stop in Queens by suspect with prior arrests
“When they forced me to take off my hijab, I felt as if I were naked,” Clark said in a statement released by her lawyers and advocates. “I’m not sure if words can capture how exposed and violated I felt.”
The settlement announced Friday still requires approval by U.S. District Judge Analisa Torres in federal court in New York.
Clark and Aziz’s attorney, O. Andrew F. Wilson, said forcing someone to remove religious clothing is akin to a strip search. The women alleged the removal of their hijabs for booking photographs violated their First Amendment rights, as well as federal religious protections and state law.
“This is a milestone for New Yorkers’ privacy and religious rights,”said Albert Fox Cahn, executive director of the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, a civil rights group that provided legal representation for the plaintiffs. “The NYPD should never have stripped these religious New Yorkers of their head coverings and dignity. This wasn’t just an assault on their rights, but on everything our city claims to believe in."
In 2020, the New York City Police Department changed its policy as a response to the lawsuit, allowing people to be photographed with religious garb as long as their faces weren’t covered, the New York Times reported. Advocates supporting the lawsuit said the NYPD has practiced a policy of keeping mugshots as part of its facial recognition surveillance program.
The agreement maintains the city denied engaging in a pattern or process that deprived people of their protected rights, court records said. The city didn’t admit to the specific claims made by Clark and Aziz.
Nick Paolucci, a spokesperson for the New York City Law Department, said the resolution was in the best interest of all parties.
“This settlement resulted in a positive reform for the NYPD,” he said in a statement. “The agreement carefully balances the department’s respect for firmly held religious beliefs with the important law enforcement need to take arrest photos.”
Criminal justice:New York City police have to track the race of people they stop. Will others follow suit?
Clark and Aziz both wore hijabs in line with their Muslim faith, which covers a woman’s hair, ears and neck, but leaves her face exposed. Many observant Muslim women wear it at all times when they’re in the presence of men who aren’t part of their immediate family.
In January 2017, Clark said she wept with her hijab down around her shoulders at NYPD headquarters in Manhattan, and begged to put it back on, court records said. She said she had been arrested for violating an order of protection by her ex-husband, which she said was false.
Eight months later, in August, Aziz had her photo taken with her hijab at her neck, in a Brooklyn precinct after voluntarily turning herself over to NYPD for violating a protective order against her sister-in-law that she said she didn’t commit. She, too, cried during the photos that had to be taken in front of several male NYPD officers and over 30 men incarcerated, according to court records.
As part of the agreement, the city prepared a class list of people who had their religious head covering removed for an official NYPD photo, according to court records. Attorneys estimate the proposed settlement could make over 3,600 people eligible for payments between approximately $7,000 and $13,000. They encouraged anyone who had their head coverings removed for a mugshot between March 16, 2014 and Aug. 23, 2021 to also file.
“We send our appreciation to the Muslim women who bravely persisted with this litigation, prompting policy change that benefit many with similar religious garb requirements,” Afar Nasher, executive director of the civil rights group Council on American-Islamic Relations New York chapter, said in a statement.
Notices of the settlement would go out to people identified in police records. Information would be available in English and also in Arabic, Bengali, Spanish, Urdu and Hebrew.
veryGood! (84)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Iran’s hijab law brings united front among country’s women
- Oregon Officials Confirm Deaths of 4 Women Found in 3-Month Period Are Linked
- Oppenheimer Moviegoers Spot Mistake in Cillian Murphy Scene
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- How Barbie's Signature Pink Is a Symbol for Strength and Empowerment
- Retired MLS Goalkeeper Brad Knighton's 11-Year-Old Daughter Olivia Killed in Boating Accident
- As East Harlem Waits for Infrastructure Projects to Mitigate Flood Risk, Residents Are Creating Their Own Solutions
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Feel Free to Salute These Secrets About Saving Private Ryan
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Kylie Jenner Sets Record Straight on Plastic Surgery Misconceptions
- Texas Cities Set Temperature Records in Unremitting Heat Wave
- Karlie Kloss Reveals Name of Baby No. 2 With Joshua Kushner
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Cheyenne Floyd Reveals Angry Teen Mom Fans Have Shown Up to Her House
- The Voice Debuts First Coaches Photo With Reba McEntire After Blake Shelton's Exit
- Savannah Chrisley Slams Rumored Documentary About Parents Todd & Julie's Imprisonment
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
How the Hollywood Strikes Will Affect New Seasons of Law & Order and One Chicago Shows
Victoria Beckham Performs a Spice Girls Song With David Beckham and Teases More to Come
A Catastrophic Flood on California’s Central Coast Has Plunged Already Marginalized Indigenous Farmworkers Into Crisis
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Kylie Jenner Sets Record Straight on Plastic Surgery Misconceptions
Separate boat crashes in Cape Cod and the Ozarks leave 1 dead, 13 injured: Police
Security guard killed in shooting at hospital in Portland, Oregon; suspect dead