Current:Home > StocksMother of Spanish Soccer President Goes on Hunger Strike Amid Controversy Over World Cup Kiss -Secure Horizon Growth
Mother of Spanish Soccer President Goes on Hunger Strike Amid Controversy Over World Cup Kiss
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:42:35
The controversy over Spanish Football Federation president Luis Rubiales continues.
More than a week after he came under fire for kissing Spanish soccer player Jennifer Hermoso on the lips after Spain secured its first World Cup victory on Aug. 20, leading to calls for his resignation, his mother has weighed in with her own show of support for her son.
Ángeles Béjar told Spanish state news agency EFE Aug. 29, per the Associated Press, that she will remain at a church in Motril, Spain, on a hunger strike "day and night" until what she described as the "inhumane hounding" of her son ends. She was reportedly joined by Rubiales' cousin Vanessa Ruiz, both of whom called upon Hermoso to "tell the truth" about the kiss.
In addition to previously claiming that the kiss was consensual, Rubiales shared a video statement on August 21 attributing the incident to "moment of elation, without any intention of bad faith."
But despite the 45-year-old's claims, Hermoso released her own statement on Aug. 25 in which she expressed that the kiss was not only not consensual, but that she's been receiving pressure to "make a statement that could justify" the soccer president's actions.
"I feel obliged to report," the 33-year-old shared in a statement to her social media, in both Spanish and English, "that Mr. Luis Rubiales' words explaining the unfortunate incident are categorically false and part of the manipulative culture that he himself has generated."
She continued, "I want to make it clear that at no time did the conversation to which Mr. Luis Rubiales refers to in his address take place, and, above all, was his kiss ever consensual. I want to reiterate as I did before that I did not like this incident."
She added, "I feel the need to report this incident because I believe that no person, in any work, sports, or social setting should be a victim of these types of non-consensual behaviors. I felt vulnerable and a victim of an impulse-driven, sexist, out of place act without an consent on my part."
And while FIFA, soccer's global governing body, announced on Aug. 26 that it has suspended Rubiales for 90 days in light of his behavior, further calls for his resignation are climbing within Spain.
In fact, leaders within the Spanish Football Federation released a statement calling for Rubiales' resignation.
"After the recent events and the unacceptable examples of behaviour that have seriously damaged the image of Spanish football," read an August 28 statement on the federation's website, "the Territorial Presidents' Committee request that Mr. Luis Rubiales present his resignation as president of the RFEF immediately. We would like to enthusiastically congratulate the women's national football team on their World Cup triumph. We would like to express our admiration and gratitude to an outstanding group of players and we extend our congratulations to all those who, over the years, have worked hard to contribute to the growth of women's football."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (97)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- There's no place like the silver screen: The Wizard of Oz celebrates 85th anniversary with limited run in select U.S. theaters
- Fox News host Sean Hannity says he moved to 'the free state of Florida' from New York
- Colorado voters seeking to keep Trump off ballot urge Supreme Court to decide his eligibility for office
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Denmark’s queen makes one last public appearance before stepping down in a rare abdication
- Angel Reese calls out Barstool Sports for double standard on player celebrations
- Prosecutors seek to drop three felony charges against the brother of Patrick Mahomes
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Illinois juvenile justice chief to take over troubled child-services agency
Ranking
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- LG Electronics partnering with West Virginia to advance renewable energy, telehealth businesses
- Russia and Ukraine exchange hundreds of prisoners of war in biggest release so far
- Ex-celebrity lawyer Tom Girardi found competent to stand trial for alleged $15 million client thefts
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Stock market today: Asian shares slip, echoing Wall Street’s weak start to 2024
- U-Haul report shows this state attracted the most number of people relocating
- Vigil held to honor slain Muslim boy as accused attacker appears in court in Illinois
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
WWII-era practice bomb washed up on California beach after intense high surf
Carbon monoxide poisoning sends 49 people to hospital from Utah church
Saved $1 million for retirement? Here's where your money will last the longest around the U.S.
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Jimmy Kimmel strikes back at Aaron Rodgers after he speculates comedian is on Epstein list
South Korea views the young daughter of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as his likely successor
Harvard seeks to move past firestorm brought on by school President Claudine Gay’s resignation