Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Will Messi, Ronaldo meet again? Inter Miami denies scheduling match with Al-Nassr -Secure Horizon Growth
NovaQuant-Will Messi, Ronaldo meet again? Inter Miami denies scheduling match with Al-Nassr
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 12:48:22
Correction/clarification: A previous version of this story incorrectly reported the status of a proposed Inter Miami match against Al-Nassr.
News Lionel Messi and NovaQuantCristiano Ronaldo could take the pitch together next year was met with worldwide excitement, but Inter Miami has refuted a Tuesday announcement it will play in Saudi Arabia.
"Earlier today, an announcement was issued stating that Inter Miami CF is scheduled to play in the Riyadh Season Cup. This is inaccurate. The release included statements attributed to team owner Jorge Mas. Mas has made no comments, publicly or privately, in relation to the preseason tour," Inter Miami's statement said. "Since day one, Inter Miami CF has set out to be a global brand. To this end, we have been in conversations to determine our 2024 preseason schedule.
"We look forward to showcasing our players on Inter Miami CF’s first international tour, which will be announced in the coming weeks."
The Messi and Ronaldo matchup would have given fans around the world perhaps one last chance to debate who is the greatest soccer player in the world.
The statement released earlier Tuesday by Saudi sports and entertainment official Turki Al-Sheikh said Inter Miami would play Al-Nassr, Ronaldo's Saudi-based club, in a 'last dance' as part of the Riyadh Season Cup at Kingdom Arena in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Messi, 36, and Ronaldo, 38, have 13 Ballon d’Or awards between them, with Messi recently winning his eighth award, the most of any player. Ronaldo is next in line with five Ballon d’Ors. And a matchup between them at this stage of their career would only feed into the never-ending debate among soccer fans as which player is the greatest.
The last time Messi and Ronaldo met was earlier this year, when Messi and Paris Saint-Germain edged Ronaldo and a team of Saudi all-stars 5-4. Both Messi and Ronaldo scored during the affair.
Saudi Arabia and concerns about sportswashing
Massive sports stars participating in Saudi-backed events and leagues is nothing new, and has raised concerns in recent years about sportswashing — using major sporting events and global superstars to erase a poor public image due to a long history of human rights violations.
The Saudis have been gaining a foothold in various sports. In soccer, the Saudi Pro League lured Ronaldo, Neymar and others with massive contracts clubs around the world could not match. Messi also received an offer reportedly close to $400 million per year from Al-Hilal before opting to join Inter Miami. Saudis also own the Premier League's Newcastle United FC.
FIFA came under fire earlier this year for considering the Saudi tourist bureau as a sponsor for the 2023 World Cup. It also ensured there would be little to no competition for the Saudi bid for the 2034 World Cup.
The Saudi-funded LIV golf tour made waves when it launched in 2021 and lured away major PGA Tour stars and caused strife in the golf world. It was so successful in its goal, the PGA Tour agreed to a merger earlier this year, though it has yet to be finalized.
Saudi Arabia has also invested in F1, major boxing matches such as Jake Paul vs. Tommy Fury, and is heavily involved in horse racing. The NBA has also hosted games in Abu Dhabi.
USA TODAY Sports senior editor Alicia DelGallo and columnist Nancy Armour contributed to this report.
veryGood! (97754)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Can women and foreigners help drive a ramen renaissance to keep Japan's noodle shops on the boil?
- Appeal coming from North Carolina Republicans in elections boards litigation
- Which 40 states don't tax Social Security benefits?
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- How Jordan Peele gave Dev Patel his 'Pretty Woman' moment with struggling 'Monkey Man'
- Roman Polanski civil trial over alleged 1973 rape of girl is set for 2025
- Uvalde police chief resigns after outside report clears officers of wrongdoing in shooting
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Break the Silence
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Jelly Roll, Kelsea Ballerini, Lainey Wilson, Megan Moroney, Cody Johnson lead CMT Music Awards noms
- Man attacked by 9-foot alligator while fishing in Florida
- Both sides rest in manslaughter trial of Michigan school shooter’s dad
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Corrections officers sentenced in case involving assault of inmate and cover up
- Dozens of big U.S. companies paid top executives more than they paid in federal taxes, report says
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Break the Silence
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Travis Kelce Details “Unique” Singapore Reunion With Taylor Swift
Princess Kate's edited photo carries lessons about posting on social media
Man attacked by 9-foot alligator while fishing in Florida
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
The Best Blue & Green Light Therapy Devices for Reduced Acne & Glowing Skin, According to a Dermatologist
Paul Alexander, Texas man who lived most of his life in an iron lung, dies at 78
Republican Valadao and Democrat Salas advance in California’s competitive 22nd district