Current:Home > NewsKevin Costner’s second ‘Horizon’ film pulled from theatrical release -Secure Horizon Growth
Kevin Costner’s second ‘Horizon’ film pulled from theatrical release
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:26:42
NEW YORK (AP) — The August theatrical release for the second chapter of Kevin Costner’s ambitious Western epic “Horizon: An American Saga” has been canceled after the first film fizzled in theaters.
New Line Cinema announced Wednesday that “Horizon: Chapter 2” will not hit theaters on Aug. 16 as scheduled. The studio had planned an unusually fast back-to-back release for the two “Horizon” films. But after the first chapter collected a modest $23 million in its first two weeks in theaters, the distributor pivoted.
“Territory Pictures and New Line Cinema have decided not to release ‘Horizon: Chapter 2’ on August 16 in order to give audiences a greater opportunity to discover the first installment of ‘Horizon’ over the coming weeks,” a spokesperson for New Line said in a statement.
For now, the release of “Chapter 2” will be marked TBD on the theatrical calendar. The first “Horizon,” which opened in theaters on June 28, will land on premium on-demand July 16. No streaming date on Max has yet been announced. The Hollywood Reporter first reported the shift in plans.
The move is a humbling acknowledgement that Costner’s big theatrical gamble for his decadeslong passion project has failed to catch on with audiences. The first chapter of “Horizon,” which debuted in May at the Cannes Film Festival, cost some $100 million to make, making its path to profitability extremely challenging if not impossible. Costner put some of his own money into it, and has already begun shooting a third installment of what he envisions will ultimately be four movies.
When asked in May about the movies hitting theaters in quick succession, Costner said, “The studio wanted to try that. I knew this was going to come out fairly quickly, like every four or five months. That may have been easier. But this is something they feel like people can remember the first one and it can tie into the second one.”
Costner, who directed, co-wrote and co-stars in the films, had been trying to make “Horizon” for more than 30 years. While releasing the film, Costner confirmed his exit from the hit series “Yellowstone.” The ultimate destination of “Horizon,” he acknowledged, was always going to be on TV.
“They’re going to break this up into a hundred pieces, you know what I mean?” said Costner. “After four of these, they’re going to have 13, 14 hours of film and they’re going to turn into 25 hours of TV, and they’re going to do whatever they’re going to do. That’s just the way we live in our life but they’ll also exist in this form. And that was important for me, to make sure that happened. And I was the one who paid for it.”
veryGood! (882)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Seniors got COVID tests they didn't order in Medicare scam. Could more fraud follow?
- Facing cancer? Here's when to consider experimental therapies, and when not to
- How Drag Queen Icon Divine Inspired The Little Mermaid's Ursula
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Barbie's Star-Studded Soundtrack Lineup Has Been Revealed—and Yes, It's Fantastic
- Duke Energy Takes Aim at the Solar Panels Atop N.C. Church
- Vanderpump Rules Reunion Part One: Every Bombshell From the Explosive Scandoval Showdown
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Overstock.com wins auction for Bed Bath and Beyond's assets
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson’s Baby Boy’s Name Finally Revealed 9 Months After Birth
- Deaths of American couple prompt luxury hotel in Mexico to suspend operations
- House votes to censure Rep. Adam Schiff over Trump investigations
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Sudanese doctors should not have to risk their own lives to save lives
- Study Links Short-Term Air Pollution Exposure to Hospitalizations for Growing List of Health Problems
- Robert Ballard found the Titanic wreckage in 1985. Here's how he discovered it and what has happened to its artifacts since.
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Creating a sperm or egg from any cell? Reproduction revolution on the horizon
Social media can put young people in danger, U.S. surgeon general warns
A Climate Activist Turns His Digital Prowess to Organizing the Youth Vote in November
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Why Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker Are Officially Done With IVF
Ariana Madix Claims Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss Had Sex in Her Guest Room While She Was Asleep
The Moment Serena Williams Shared Her Pregnancy News With Daughter Olympia Is a Grand Slam