Current:Home > MyUniversity of North Carolina to dump 'divisive' DEI, spend funds on public safety -Secure Horizon Growth
University of North Carolina to dump 'divisive' DEI, spend funds on public safety
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:18:18
Amid campus protests nationwide and a push to revise diversity policies at state public universities, the Board of Trustees for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill voted Monday to redirect the $2.3 million that funded diversity, equity and inclusion programs toward public safety measures.
The unanimous decision comes ahead of a vote next week by the UNC Board of Governors that’s expected to limit DEI initiatives and may lead to personnel layoffs. The board's governance committee approved the change for all public colleges and universities in April, but the move requires a vote by the full board.
Trustee Marty Kotis, vice-chair of the budget committee, said the funds are needed for campus policing and safety in light of the pro-Palestinian protests that swept through college campuses in late April and earlier this month. At UNC Chapel Hill, 36 demonstrators were detained – six of them arrested – and the U.S. flag was replaced by a Palestinian one during an April 30 protest.
“It’s important to consider the needs of all 30,000 students, not just the 100 or so that may want to disrupt the university’s operations,” he said.
Kotis also called DEI policies, first implemented at North Carolina’s flagship university in 2017, “discriminatory and divisive,’’ according to Chapel Hill-based public radio station WUNC.
“I think that DEI in a lot of people’s minds is divisiveness, exclusion and indoctrination,” Kotis said, according to WUNC. “We need more unity and togetherness, more dialogue, more diversity of thought.”
The UNC Office of Diversity and Inclusion, which did not respond to USA TODAY messages seeking comment, says in its website that it aims to “celebrate all members of the Carolina community, to broaden our collective understanding, and foster a sense of belonging by uplifting diverse identities, cultures, experiences, and perspectives.’’
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones, a noted UNC alumna, retweeted a story by the Raleigh News & Observer reporting on the DEI story, but she did not comment on it.
Hannah-Jones, who created the acclaimed 1619 Project for the New York Times Magazine exploring the legacy of slavery in the U.S., was appointed to a professor position at UNC in 2021, but the Board of Trustees rejected the journalism department’s recommendation and denied her tenure, leading to an outcry from students and faculty. She eventually turned down the post and joined the Howard University faculty instead.
North Carolina is only the latest in a string of states taking aim at DEI programs in public universities, a move spearheaded by conservatives. Texas and Florida are the two largest states to banish them, behind GOP governors Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis, respectively. North Carolina has a Democratic governor in Roy Cooper, but Republicans have at least a 20-seat majority in both the state Senate and the House.
veryGood! (16)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Purdue still No. 1, but Arizona, Florida Atlantic tumble in USA TODAY men's basketball poll
- Netflix, not football, is on menu for Alabama coach Nick Saban after Rose Bowl loss to Michigan
- What's open today? New Year's Day hours for restaurants, stores and fast-food places.
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Purdue still No. 1, but Arizona, Florida Atlantic tumble in USA TODAY men's basketball poll
- Selena Gomez Reveals Her Next Album Will Likely Be Her Last
- Biden will start the year at sites of national trauma to warn about dire stakes of the 2024 election
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Patriots assistant coach Jerod Mayo responds to 'hurtful' report about his approach with team
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- EU targets world’s biggest diamond miner as part of Russia war sanctions
- What to know about keeping children safe — and warm — in the car during the winter
- Soccer stars Crystal Dunn and Tierna Davidson join NWSL champs Gotham FC: Really excited
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- How common are earthquakes on the East Coast? Small explosions reported after NYC quake
- Roz returns to 'Night Court': Marsha Warfield says 'ghosts' of past co-stars were present
- Ready to mark your calendar for 2024? Dates for holidays, events and games to plan ahead for
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. qualifies for presidential ballot in Utah, the first state to grant him access
Dry January tips, health benefits and terms to know — whether you're a gray-area drinker or just sober curious
Gunman breaks into Colorado Supreme Court building; intrusion unrelated to Trump case, police say
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Frank Ryan, Cleveland Browns' last championship quarterback, dies at 89
Why Michigan expected Alabama's play-call on last snap of Rose Bowl
10-year-old California boy held on suspicion of shooting another child with his father’s gun