Current:Home > MarketsJudge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case -Secure Horizon Growth
Judge nixes bid to restrict Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified records case
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:31:52
WASHINGTON (AP) — The judge overseeing Donald Trump’s classified documents case in Florida on Tuesday denied prosecutors’ request to bar the former president from making public statements that could endanger law enforcement agents participating in the prosecution.
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon said in her order that prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team didn’t give defense lawyers adequate time to discuss the request before it was filed Friday evening. She denied the request without prejudice, meaning prosecutors could file it again.
The request followed a distorted claim by Trump last week that the FBI agents who searched his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 were “authorized to shoot me” and were “locked & loaded ready to take me out & put my family in danger.”
The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was referring to the disclosure in a court document that the FBI, during the search in Palm Beach, Florida, followed a standard use-of-force policy that prohibits the use of deadly force except when the officer conducting the search has a reasonable belief that the “subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to another person.”
Prosecutors said in court papers late Friday that Trump’s statements falsely suggesting that federal agents “were complicit in a plot to assassinate him” expose law enforcement officers — some of whom prosecutors noted will be called as witnesses at his trial — “to the risk of threats, violence, and harassment.”
Defense attorneys in a court filing late Monday called prosecutors’ proposed restriction on Trump’s speech “unconstitutional” and noted that the names of law enforcement officers in the case are subject to a protective order preventing their public release. Defense attorneys said they asked Smith’s team on Friday if the two sides could meet on Monday before prosecutors submit their request to give the defense time to discuss it with Trump. They called prosecutors’ decision to file the motion Friday night “bad-faith behavior, plain and simple.”
Trump faces dozens of felony counts accusing him of illegally hoarding at his Mar-a-Lago estate classified documents that he took with him after he left the White House in 2021 and then obstructing the FBI’s efforts to get them back. He has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing.
It’s among four criminal cases Trump is confronting as he seeks to reclaim the White House, but outside of the ongoing New York hush money prosecution, it’s unclear that any of the other three will reach trial before the November election. The decision came as defense lawyers were delivering their closing arguments in the hush money case.
Trump has already had restrictions placed on his speech in two of the other cases over incendiary comments officials say threaten the integrity of the prosecutions.
In the New York case, Trump has been fined and threatened with jail time for repeatedly violating a gag order that bars him from making public statements about witnesses, jurors and some others connected to the matter.
veryGood! (5827)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Pennsylvania’s Dairy Farmers Clamor for Candidates Who Will Cut Environmental Regulations
- Inside Clean Energy: In the Year of the Electric Truck, Some Real Talk from Texas Auto Dealers
- Why Bachelor Nation's Tayshia Adams Has Become More Private Since Her Split With Zac Clark
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- As SpaceX Grows, So Do Complaints From Environmentalists, Indigenous Groups and Brownsville Residents
- Your Mission: Enjoy These 61 Facts About Tom Cruise
- Disney's Q2 earnings: increased profits but a mixed picture
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Get Your Skincare Routine Ready for Summer With This $12 Ice Roller That Shoppers Say Feels Amazing
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- In BuzzFeed fashion, 5 takeaways from Ben Smith's 'Traffic'
- The banking system that loaned billions to SVB and First Republic
- In an Attempt to Wrestle Away Land for Game Hunters, Tanzanian Government Fires on Maasai Farmers, Killing Two
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Celebrating Victories in Europe and South America, the Rights of Nature Movement Plots Strategy in a Time of ‘Crises’
- Fox isn't in the apology business. That could cost it a ton of money
- Space Tourism Poses a Significant ‘Risk to the Climate’
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Activists Laud Biden’s New Environmental Justice Appointee, But Concerns Linger Over Equity and Funding
Dealers still sell Hyundais and Kias vulnerable to theft, but insurance is hard to get
BaubleBar 4th of July Sale: These $10 Deals Are Red, White and Cute
Travis Hunter, the 2
Khloe Kardashian Says She Hates Being in Her 30s After Celebrating 39th Birthday
An EPA proposal to (almost) eliminate climate pollution from power plants
An Unprecedented Heat Wave in India and Pakistan Is Putting the Lives of More Than a Billion People at Risk