Current:Home > NewsReggie Bush plans to continue his fight against the NCAA after the return of his Heisman Trophy -Secure Horizon Growth
Reggie Bush plans to continue his fight against the NCAA after the return of his Heisman Trophy
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 20:30:55
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Reggie Bush is overjoyed to have his Heisman Trophy once again.
Now he wants his reputation back as well.
The former Southern California tailback says the return of his Heisman is the biggest step yet in what he sees as his fight against the NCAA to restore his good name and his records from his incredible college football career. Bush pointedly said he “never cheated” during his three seasons at USC.
“There was never a doubt in my mind that it would come,” Bush said. “Because I know the truth is on my side.”
Bush and his family celebrated the restoration of his Heisman honors Thursday during a news conference atop the venerable Coliseum, where Bush played for the Trojans before his 11-year NFL career. Bush and his three children held up the trophy together while his wife, mother and many supporters cheered.
Bush praised the Heisman Trust for his reinstatement, but the former tailback and his attorneys made it clear their fight against the NCAA has not ended. Bush indicated he doesn’t plan to drop his defamation lawsuit filed last year against the NCAA over the governing body’s 2021 characterization of the circumstances that led to Bush’s troubles.
“It was more of being labelled a cheater,” Bush said. “The trophy ... being taken away from me (was painful), but being labelled a cheater was far worse, because I’ve never cheated, and there’s no proof of that, that I’ve cheated.”
Bush won the Heisman in 2005, but forfeited it in 2010 after USC was hit with massive sanctions partly related to Bush’s dealings with two aspiring sports marketers. The Heisman Trust restored the honor and returned the trophy to Bush in Jacksonville, Florida, on Wednesday, citing fundamental changes in the structure of college athletics over the past 14 years.
The NCAA also vacated 14 wins by the Trojans and wiped many of Bush’s achievements from the record books in its sanctions. That decision still infuriates Bush, who clearly hopes his lawsuit and public pressure can force the governing body to change its stance.
“This is a clarion call to the NCAA to do the right thing, to get on the right side of history,” attorney Ben Crump said.
Bush, whose NCAA-mandated disassociation from USC ended in 2020, hopes to see his retired No. 5 on the Coliseum peristyle this fall. He also hopes to lead coach Lincoln Riley’s team out of the Coliseum tunnel, accepting the honor given to top former Trojans.
But Bush says he won’t be satisfied until his name is cleared as well.
“You can’t get to this, or a national championship, by cheating,” Bush said. “I promise you that.”
___
AP college football: https://apnews.com/collegefootball
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- 15-year-old charged as adult in fatal shooting of homeless man in Pennsylvania
- Tiffany Haddish says she will 'get some help' following DUI arrest
- Israel-Hamas cease-fire extended 2 days, Qatar says, amid joyous reunions for freed hostages, Palestinian prisoners
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell opens up about league's growing popularity, Taylor Swift's impact
- Strike over privatizing Sao Paulo’s public transport causes crowds and delays in city of 11 million
- Plains, Georgia remembers former first lady Rosalynn Carter: The 'Steel Magnolia'
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- What to expect from Mike Elko after Texas A&M hired Duke coach to replace Jimbo Fisher
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- 'Family Switch' 2023 film: Cast, trailer and where to watch
- One Tree Hill’s Bethany Joy Lenz Reveals Where She Found “Safety” Amid Exit From Cult Life
- 'The Voice' contestant Tom Nitti leaves Season 24 for 'personal reasons,' will not return
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- France to ban smoking on beaches as it seeks to avoid 75,000 tobacco-related deaths per year
- Israel-Hamas cease-fire extended 2 days, Qatar says, amid joyous reunions for freed hostages, Palestinian prisoners
- Indonesia opens the campaign for its presidential election in February
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
More than 303,000 Honda Accords, HR-V recalled over missing seat belt piece
'Family Switch' 2023 film: Cast, trailer and where to watch
Tornadoes forecast in the Black Sea region as storm reportedly impacts Russian military operations
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Biden not planning to attend COP28 climate conference in Dubai
Greek officials angry and puzzled after UK’s Sunak scraps leaders’ meeting over Parthenon Marbles
Minnesota Timberwolves defense has them near top of NBA power rankings