Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Secure Horizon Growth
Oliver James Montgomery-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:02:34
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Oliver James Montgomeryagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Longtime US Rep Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, who had pancreatic cancer, has died
- American Airlines has a contract deal with flight attendants, and President Biden is happy about it
- Jason Aldean sits next to Trump at RNC, Kid Rock performs
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Trump pays tribute to Pennsylvania firefighter killed in rally shooting
- 5 people, including 4 children, killed in Alabama shooting
- Soccer Star Neymar Welcomes Baby No. 3 Less Than 9 Months After Daughter With Bruna Biancardi
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Some convictions overturned in terrorism case against Muslim scholar from Virginia
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Black lawmakers are standing by Biden at a crucial moment. But some express concern
- It Ends With Us: Blake Lively Will Have Your Emotions Running High in Intense New Trailer
- Canada wants 12 new submarines to bolster Arctic defense as NATO watches Russia and China move in
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Country Singer Rory Feek Marries Daughter's Teacher 8 Years After Death of Wife Joey
- Nominations for National Guard leaders languish, triggering concerns as top officers retire
- Shane Lowry keeps calm and carries British Open lead at Troon
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Watch Ryan Reynolds React to Joke That He's Bad at Sex
Rachel Lindsay's Ex Bryan Abasolo Says He Was “Psychologically Beaten Down Before Meeting Divorce Coach
Florida man arrested, accused of making threats against Trump, Vance on social media
Travis Hunter, the 2
Heavy rain collapses part of ancient Michigan cave where ‘The Great Train Robbery’ was filmed
Missing man’s body is found in a West Virginia lake
The bodies of 4 Pakistanis killed in the attack on a mosque in Oman have been returned home