Current:Home > ScamsEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group -Secure Horizon Growth
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 12:22:54
BOGOTA,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government and the rebel group know as FARC-EMC on Monday signed a three-month cease-fire and formally began peace talks, as President Gustavo Petro tries to bolster his plans to pacify rural areas ahead of regional elections that will take place at the end of October.
In an event that took place in the township of Tibu, near Colombia’s border with Venezuela, both sides also agreed to cease attacks on civilians and set up a group that will monitor the cease-fire and could include United Nations personnel.
“Peace today seems to have been eclipsed when sirens, bombs, shouts of pain and desperation can be heard in places like the Middle East, Europe or sub-Saharan Africa” said Camilo González, the government’s lead negotiator. “These peace talks (in Colombia) are a bet on life and freedom.”
FARC-EMC are currently Colombia’s third largest armed group, with around 3,500 members. The group is led by left-wing guerrilla fighters who refused to join a 2016 peace deal between Colombia’s government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia in which more than 12,000 rebels laid down their guns.
The talks with the FARC-EMC are part of President Petro’s total peace strategy, which includes negotiating with various armed groups.
Colombia’s government in June signed a 6-month cease-fire with the National Liberation Army, the country’s largest remaining guerrilla group. But talks with the Gulf Clan, the nation’s second largest armed group, broke down earlier this year as the military cracked down on illegal mining in a region controlled by that organization.
FARC-EMC said in September that they will not interfere in municipal and provincial elections that will be held on October 29. Their leaders argued that they wanted to give the government a gesture of good will, as both sides tried to broker a cease-fire.
Last year, on December 31, President Petro ordered his troops to stop attacks on the FARC-EMC. But that cease-fire broke down in May after the rebels killed three teenagers from an Indigenous community who had been forcibly recruited and were trying to escape from one of the group’s camps.
Jorge Restrepo, a Colombian security analyst, said that the current cease-fire could take some time to implement, because FARC-EMC operates as a coalition of different rebel units, each with its own interests.
“There are disputes between the different groups that make up the EMC,” Restrepo said. “So that could limit the effect of the cease-fire on rural communities.”
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (522)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Dave Portnoy rescued by Coast Guard after drifting out to sea: 'Almost lost Captain Dave'
- The Top 40 Amazon Prime Day 2024 Pet Deals: Save Big on Earth Rated, Purina, Blue Buffalo & More
- NASA map captures extent of punishing heat in U.S.
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Drake shares dramatic video of mansion flooding from Toronto storm
- Chelsea Football Club Speaks Out After Player Enzo Fernández Faces Backlash Over Racist Chant Video
- Shift Into $5.94 Deals for Car Lovers Before Amazon Prime Day 2024 Ends
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Wednesday’s Riki Lindhome Reveals She and Costar Fred Armisen Privately Married in 2022
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Navy exonerates 256 Black sailors unjustly punished in 1944 after a deadly California port explosion
- Pentagon leaker Jack Teixeira to face a military court-martial, Air Force says
- Lawsuit claims that delayed elections for Georgia utility regulator are unconstitutional
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Tour de France standings, results after Ecuador's Richard Carapaz wins Stage 17
- 'I killed our baby': Arizona dad distracted by video games leaves daughter in hot car: Docs
- LAFC vs. RSL, possible league history highlight MLS slate on 'deadest day in sports'
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Hillbilly Elegy rockets to top of bestseller list after JD Vance picked as Trump's VP
Her hearing implant was preapproved. Nonetheless, she got $139,000 bills for months.
Diana Taurasi back from injury: How Mercury star fared in past two games
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Top Prime Day 2024 Deals on Accessories: $8 Jewelry, $12 Sunglasses, $18 Backpacks & More Stylish Finds
Simone Biles changed gymnastics. Now, it has to be more accessible for kids of color
Six nights in 1984 at Pauley Pavilion where US gymnasts won crowds of fans and Olympic glory