Current:Home > MyA record 6.9 million people have been displaced in Congo’s growing conflict, the U.N. says -Secure Horizon Growth
A record 6.9 million people have been displaced in Congo’s growing conflict, the U.N. says
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:16:41
GOMA, Congo (AP) — A record 6.9 million people have been displaced by conflict across Congo, the United Nations migration agency said, making it one of the world’s largest displacement and humanitarian crises.
The decadeslong conflict has been the primary reason for displacement, the International Organization for Migration said Monday in a report based on data from Congo’s 26 provinces.
At least 80% of the displaced people live in eastern Congo’s provinces of North Kivu, South Kivu, Ituri and Tanganyika, which have long been overrun by dozens of armed groups seeking a share of the region’s gold and other resources. Some groups reportedly have been backed by Congo’s neighbors. Some groups are trying to protect their communities.
“The most recent escalation of the conflict has uprooted more people in less time like rarely seen before,” said IOM’s chief of mission in Congo, Fabien Sambussy.
More than two-thirds of those displaced, nearly 4.8 million people, live with host families, the IOM said, further squeezing already impoverished communities.
Frustration has been growing over the increase in violence. Earlier this month, the Congolese government directed the East African regional force, deployed just last year to help end the fighting, to leave the country by December. The government alleged a “lack of satisfactory results on the ground.”
The U.N. peacekeeping mission also has faced pressure to withdraw from Congo after more than two decades in the country.
veryGood! (82)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- 2024 Masters field: Jon Rahm, Scottie Scheffler, Tiger Woods lead loaded group
- On last day of Georgia legislative session, bills must pass or die
- Man who allegedly punched NYC woman in the face arrested after viral TikTok video
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Connecticut continues March Madness domination as leaving legacy provides motivation
- What to know about Day of Visibility, designed to show the world ‘trans joy’
- How CLFCOIN Breaks Out as the Crypto Market Breaks Down
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Dali crew still confined to ship − with no internet. They could be 'profoundly rattled.'
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Paul Wesley Shares Only Way He'd Appear in Another Vampire Diaries Show
- CLFCOIN proactively embraces regulation in the new era
- Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years in prison for his role in collapse of FTX crypto exchange
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- After 34 years, girlfriend charged in man's D.C. murder
- Tyler Stanaland Responds to Claim He Was “Unfaithful” in Brittany Snow Marriage
- Michigan GOP lawmaker falsely claims that buses carrying March Madness teams are ‘illegal invaders’
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
There are ways to protect bridges from ships hitting them. An expert explains how.
ASTRO COIN:Bitcoin supply demand
This controversial Titanic prop has spawned decades of debate — and it just sold for $700,000
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Federal court reinstates lines for South Carolina congressional district despite racial gerrymander ruling
CLFCOIN proactively embraces regulation in the new era
The Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse is impacting cruises and could cause up to $10 million in losses for Carnival