Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|'Quiet on Set' new episode: Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him -Secure Horizon Growth
Benjamin Ashford|'Quiet on Set' new episode: Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 17:31:52
A new episode of "Quiet on Benjamin AshfordSet: The Dark Side of Kids TV" has revealed additional allegations from Nickelodeon alums, including more claims against Drake Bell's alleged abuser.
Investigation Discovery aired a fifth episode of the documentary series on Sunday, featuring new interviews with the original participants, plus one with a former child star who came forward for the first time.
Toward the end of the episode, former "All That" star Shane Lyons alleged dialogue coach Brian Peck made "passes" at him while he was on the show. Bell previously accused Peck of sexually assaulting him.
During a discussion with journalist Soledad O'Brien, Lyons said he also worked with Peck on "All That" and feels "blessed and lucky that nothing like that happened to me." But he added, "There were certainly some passes."
Lyons alleged that Peck asked him if he "knew what blue balls" were while they were alone on set when he was 13 or 14. "As I think back now, as a 36-year-old, I go, 'Would I ever have a conversation with a 13-year-old boy like he had with me?'" Lyons said. "No. It makes absolutely zero sense."
Who is Brian Peck?Ex-Nickelodeon coach convicted of lewd acts with minor back in spotlight
Lyons explained he came forward because the "only way we can change is to really evaluate the past."
Peck was convicted of lewd acts with a minor in 2004 and sentenced to 16 months in prison. In the third episode of "Quiet on Set," Bell revealed for the first time that he was the victim at the center of that case.
Drake Bell says no one has reached out to apologize for supporting Brian Peck
The new "Quiet on Set" episode also included a new interview with Bell about the fallout from the series. The documentary's initial four episodes revealed that Hollywood stars like James Marsden, Will Friedle and Rider Strong wrote letters of support for Peck during the abuse case.
Several people, including Friedle and Strong, have expressed regret for doing so, but Bell said no one who wrote a letter supporting Peck has reached out to apologize. Friedle had "a lot of opportunity to apologize" when they worked together on "Ultimate Spider-Man" but did not do so, the "Drake & Josh" star said, while noting this is a "very difficult subject to bring up."
In an X post on Friday, though, Bell said he has since had an "amazing conversation" with Strong and has "nothing but love and forgiveness for him."
During Sunday's "Quiet on Set" episode, Bell said it "boggles my mind" that Peck's arrest and conviction didn't receive more media attention at the time, adding that this allowed him to continue working in Hollywood as a registered sex offender. "It was just unbelievable," he said.
James MarsdenTaran Killam wrote support letters for Brian Peck amid Drake Bell abuse case
Bell also defended his mother, arguing that "Quiet on Set" viewers have been too hard on her by suggesting she didn't do enough to protect him from Peck. "I completely understand how (Peck) just pulled the wool over everyone's eyes," he said. "It's tragic."
In a statement previously provided to USA TODAY, Nickelodeon said "Though we cannot corroborate or negate allegations of behaviors from productions decades ago, Nickelodeon as a matter of policy investigates all formal complaints as part of our commitment to fostering a safe and professional workplace environment free of harassment or other kinds of inappropriate conduct."
'Quiet on Set' participant reveals Dan Schneider called her
In the original four episodes of "Quiet on Set," producer Dan Schneider was accused of inappropriate behavior on his Nickelodeon shows, including asking female employees for massages on set. Some also argued that the shows he worked on featured disturbing sexual innuendos, not suitable for young viewers.
"All That" alum Giovonnie Samuels, who participated in the original four episodes, revealed that Schneider called her a week before the series aired and asked her to "give a quote of support" for him. Samuels said the producer believed she had a "good time on set" and could tell his "side," but she told Schneider she "was terrified of him."
Dan Schneideraddresses allegations of a toxic workplace on his Nickelodeon TV shows
Samuels and fellow "All That" alum Bryan Hearne also reacted to a video that Schneider released in response to the documentary, in which the producer said he owes a "strong apology" to those who didn't "get the best of me" while working for him.
But Hearne dismissed this video as insincere, noting Schneider has acting experience. "I think that he brushed off some (acting) chops and gave us a nice performance," Hearne said, adding, "What's an apology without accountability?"
Later in the episode, Hearne participated in an emotional discussion with his mother, Tracey Brown, and the two revealed the documentary helped repair their fractured relationship. Hearne and Brown also reacted to a previously unseen interview with "The Amanda Show" star Raquel Lee Bolleau, who said a director told her to "keep your cool" after she got "so mad" about a sketch where Amanda Bynes had to spit in her face repeatedly.
"That's racist," Brown said. "Period."
Will there be more episodes of 'Quiet on Set'?
In an interview with USA TODAY, "Quiet on Set" directors Mary Robertson and Emma Schwartz explained Sunday's episode came together after they saw the viral response the series' trailer received in February and noticed it sparked questions that could be explored further.
The filmmakers said it was gratifying that the show has resonated with audiences and has empowered others to protect child actors on set.
"There's an awareness now that there's an absence of federal legislation that pertains to children working in entertainment," Robertson said.
Potential changes the series' participants have proposed include stronger laws requiring that anyone who works around child actors undergo a background check, as well as additional resources for children on set like access to social workers or mental health specialists, Schwartz explained.
The directors also reacted to the pressure some viewers have put on former child actors to speak out in response to the documentary. "We don't want to apply pressure on anyone to share a story that they're not ready to share," Robertson said. "Period."
While "Quiet on Set" focuses largely on Nickelodeon and especially Schneider's shows, Schwartz said the story it tells is "bigger than any person and any network, and really about this industry writ large."
So could that story be further explored in additional episodes of "Quiet on Set"? Nothing beyond Sunday's episode has been announced, but Robertson told USA TODAY, "We are committed to continuing the reporting."
"We are passionate about the subject matter," Robertson added. "We think there is a lot more that can be shared. If and when an individual with a related account is ready, then we are here and we're listening."
veryGood! (831)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- The chairman of Hong Kong’s leading journalist group gets jail term for obstructing a police officer
- South Korea’s Constitutional Court strikes down law banning anti-Pyongyang leafleting
- Alabama inmate opposes being ‘test subject’ for new nitrogen execution method
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- South Korean opposition leader appears in court for hearing on arrest warrant for alleged corruption
- Michigan woman will serve up to 5 years in prison for crash into icy pond that killed her 3 sons
- David McCallum, star of hit TV series 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' and 'NCIS,' dies at 90
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- California governor signs law barring schoolbook bans based on racial, gender teachings
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Thailand receives the first Chinese visitors under a new visa-free policy to boost tourism
- Former President Jimmy Carter attends Georgia peanut festival ahead of his 99th birthday
- Indiana teen working for tree-trimming service killed when log rolls out of trailer, strikes him
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Kathy Hilton Shares Paris Hilton's Son Phoenix's Latest Impressive Milestone
- 'Tiger King' Joe Exotic calls out Florida State QB Jordan Travis for selling merch
- Below Deck Med Is Rocked By a Shocking, Unexpected Departure on Season 8 Premiere
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Powerball jackpot rises to estimated $785 million after no winning tickets sold for Saturday's drawing
At least 360 Georgia prison guards have been arrested for contraband since 2018, newspaper finds
Texas Walmart shooter agrees to pay more than $5M to families over 2019 racist attack
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
After 4 months, Pakistan resumes issuing ID cards to transgender people, officials say
Indiana teen working for tree-trimming service killed when log rolls out of trailer, strikes him
Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares returns to Fox: Where to watch new season