Current:Home > ScamsJustin Timberlake’s lawyer says pop singer wasn’t intoxicated, argues DUI charges should be dropped -Secure Horizon Growth
Justin Timberlake’s lawyer says pop singer wasn’t intoxicated, argues DUI charges should be dropped
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 20:40:58
Justin Timberlake ’s lawyer said Friday that the pop singer wasn’t intoxicated during a traffic stop last month, as he seeks to get his drunken driving charge in New York’s Hamptons dismissed, citing errors in documents submitted by police.
But Sag Harbor Village Justice Justice Carl Irace ordered Timberlake to be re-arraigned Aug. 2 with the corrected paperwork.
He also agreed the former NSYNC member, who is currently on tour in Europe, could appear virtually for the proceeding. Timberlake didn’t attend Friday’s hearing as his appearance was waived in advance.
Timberlake’s lawyer, Edward Burke, said after the hearing that police made “very significant errors” and expects the charge to be dismissed. He also maintained that Timberlake didn’t drive drunk.
“He was not intoxicated,” Burke told reporters outside court. “I’ll say it again. Justin Timberlake was not intoxicated.”
Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney’s office, which is prosecuting the case, described the paperwork issue as a “ministerial error” and that an amended charging document was filed July 2.
“The facts and circumstance of the case have not been changed or amended,” spokesperson Emily O’Neil said in an email.
Burke, in a follow-up statement, suggested there were other problems with the arrest documents but didn’t elaborate.
“The police made a number of very significant errors in this case,” he said. “In court today, you heard the district attorney try to fix one of those errors. But that’s just one and there are many others. Sometimes the police make mistakes and this is just one of those instances.”
Timberlake respects law enforcement and the judicial process and cooperated with officers and treated them with respect throughout his arrest last month, Burke added.
Tierney’s office declined to respond to Burke’s comments.
“We stand ready to litigate the underlying facts of this case in court, rather than in the press,” O’Neil said.
Timberlake was charged with the misdemeanor on June 18 after police said he ran a stop sign and veered out of his lane in Sag Harbor, a onetime whaling village mentioned in Herman Melville’s classic novel “Moby-Dick” that’s nestled amid the Hamptons, around 100 miles (160 kilometers) east of New York City.
The boy band singer-turned-solo star and actor was driving a 2025 BMW around 12:30 a.m. when an officer stopped him and determined he was intoxicated, according to a court document.
“His eyes were bloodshot and glassy, a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage was emanating from his breath, he was unable to divide attention, he had slowed speech, he was unsteady afoot and he performed poorly on all standardized field sobriety tests,” the court papers said.
Timberlake, 43, told the officer at the time that he had one martini and was following some friends home, according to the documents. After being arrested and taken to a police station in nearby East Hampton, he refused a breath test.
The 10-time Grammy winner began performing as a young Disney Mouseketeer, rose to fame as part of the boy band NSYNC and embarked on a solo recording career in the early 2000s.
___
Associated Press reporter Karen Matthews in New York contributed to this story.
veryGood! (61)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- 'Congrats on #2': Habit shades In-N-Out with billboard after burger ranking poll
- Ken Page, Voice of Oogie Boogie in The Nightmare Before Christmas, Dead at 70
- Frolic Into Fall With Lands' End's Huge Sitewide Sale: $7 Tees, $8 Bras, $10 Pants & More — Up to 87% Off
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- FACT FOCUS: A look at false and misleading claims during the vice presidential debate
- Trump won’t participate in interview for ’60 Minutes’ election special
- Caitlin O'Connor and Joe Manganiello’s Relationship Started With a Winning Meet Cute
- Trump's 'stop
- Here’s How the Libra New Moon—Which Is Also a Solar Eclipse—Will Affect Your Zodiac Sign
Ranking
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Mega Millions winning numbers for October 1 drawing: Jackpot at $93 million
- Lawyer for keffiyeh-wearing, pro-Palestinian protester questions arrest under local face mask ban
- Mariska Hargitay Addresses Potential Taylor Swift Cameo on Law & Order: SVU
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Live Nation is found not liable for 3 campers’ deaths at Michigan music fest
- Jets’ Lazard expects NFL to fine him over gun-like celebration
- 'I'm sorry': Garcia Glenn White becomes 6th man executed in US in 11 days
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Hospitals mostly rebound after Helene knocked out power and flooded areas
Mark Estes Breaks Silence on Kristin Cavallari Split
Massachusetts couple charged with casting ballots in New Hampshire
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
John Amos remembered by Al Roker, 'West Wing' co-stars: 'This one hits different'
Jonathan Majors’ ‘Magazine Dreams’ lands theatrical release for early 2025
Jury at officers’ trial in fatal beating of Tyre Nichols hears instructions ahead of closings