Current:Home > FinanceKevin Spacey’s waterfront Baltimore condo sold at auction after foreclosure -Secure Horizon Growth
Kevin Spacey’s waterfront Baltimore condo sold at auction after foreclosure
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:52:19
BALTIMORE (AP) — Kevin Spacey’s $5.6 million waterfront condominium in Baltimore has been sold at auction amid the disgraced actor’s financial struggles following a slew of sexual misconduct allegations.
Last summer, a London jury acquitted Spacey on sexual assault charges stemming from allegations by four men dating back 20 years. That was his second court victory since he saw off a $40 million lawsuit in 2022 in New York brought by “Star Trek: Discovery” actor Anthony Rapp.
But Spacey said in an emotional interview with British broadcast host Piers Morgan last month that he was millions of dollars in debt, largely because of unpaid legal bills, and facing foreclosure on the Baltimore property.
Spacey moved to the Baltimore area when he started shooting the hugely popular political thriller “House of Cards” there in 2012. Speaking through tears during the interview, Spacey said he would have to go back to Baltimore and put all his things in storage. He said he nearly had to file for bankruptcy a couple times but managed to dodge it.
His luxury condo on Baltimore’s Inner Harbor sold at auction Thursday morning for $3.24 million, according to the auctioneer’s website. It sits on a floating pier and boasts six bedrooms, seven full baths, an elevator, sauna, home theater, rooftop terrace, multiple verandas and a four-car garage.
A small group of potential buyers gathered on the steps of the downtown Baltimore Circuit Court building and made their bids, according to local media reports. The suggested opening bid was $1.5 million.
The winning bidder was acting as proxy for a real estate developer and local businessman whose identity hasn’t been disclosed, The Baltimore Sun reported.
During tearful testimony in a London courtroom last summer, Spacey denied the allegations against him and told the jury how they had destroyed his acting career as the #MeToo movement gained momentum in the U.S.
veryGood! (28)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Los Angeles county DA's office quits Twitter due to vicious homophobic attacks not removed by social media platform
- Trump Strips California’s Right to Set Tougher Auto Standards
- How banks and hospitals are cashing in when patients can't pay for health care
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Study: Solar Power Officially Cheaper Than Nuclear in North Carolina
- Dangerous Contaminants Found in Creek Near Gas Wastewater Disposal Site
- This is America's most common text-messaging scam, FTC says
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Celebrated Water Program That Examined Fracking, Oil Sands Is Abruptly Shut Down
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- ‘We Must Grow This Movement’: Youth Climate Activists Ramp Up the Pressure
- ‘We Must Grow This Movement’: Youth Climate Activists Ramp Up the Pressure
- Ice-T Says His and Coco Austin’s 7-Year-Old Daughter Chanel Still Sleeps in Their Bed
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Feds Pour Millions into Innovative Energy Storage Projects in New York
- Kendall Roy's Penthouse on Succession Is Just as Grand (and Expensive) as You'd Imagine
- Far From Turning a Corner, Global CO2 Emissions Still Accelerating
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Prospect of Chinese spy base in Cuba unsettles Washington
The Little Mermaid's Halle Bailey Makes a Stylish Splash With Liquid Gown
Kim Kardashian’s SKIMS Wedding Shop Has You Covered for the Big Day and Beyond
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Sia Marries Dan Bernard During Intimate Italian Ceremony: See the Wedding Photos
Today’s Climate: August 16, 2010
Pruitt’s Anti-Climate Agenda Is Facing New Challenge From Science Advisers