Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Drake scores Tupac's custom crown ring for $1M at auction: 'Slice of hip-hop history' -Secure Horizon Growth
Johnathan Walker:Drake scores Tupac's custom crown ring for $1M at auction: 'Slice of hip-hop history'
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 12:05:47
After dropping more than $1 million at an auction,Johnathan Walker Drake is now the new owner of a custom-made ring that Tupac Shakur wore during his final public appearance.
The Grammy-winning artist, who's now on a North American tour with 21 Savage, showed off the dazzling gold, ruby and diamond crown ring in a photo posted to his Instagram story Thursday. In the image, Drake shouts out Travis Scott's Friday album release, "Utopia," which features Drake on the track "Meltdown."
The accessory is "an exceedingly rare piece of Tupac's signature aesthetic and a slice of hip-hop history," according to a Sotheby's release. The auction house confirmed Friday that Drake bought the piece after Shakur's godmother and lifelong supporter, Yaasmyn Fula, put it up for auction earlier this week.
Sotheby's initial estimate for the ring's sale was $300,000. Drake's winning bid, $1.01 million, was more than triple that amount, making it one of the most valuable hip-hop artifacts to be sold at auction, according to Sotheby's.
'A couple of weeks':Drake says his new album's closer than we thought
Tupac's crown ring sold at auction amid investigation into his killing
Shakur designed and commissioned the crown ring in 1996 and wore the jewelry during his appearance at the MTV Video Music Awards that year, according to Sotheby's. Engraved on the band is the inscription "Pac & Dada 1996," in an ode to fiancée Kidada Jones.
In June, Shakur posthumously received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The rapper's sister, Sekyiwa "Set" Shakur, tearfully accepted the distinction on his behalf. "We’re not just honoring a star in the ground, but we’re honoring the work and the passion that he’s put into making his dreams come true," she said.
The sale also comes amid a renewed investigation into Shakur's long-unsolved killing.
On July 17, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department served a search warrant in Henderson, Nevada, in connection with the drive-by shooting in Las Vegas 30 years ago that killed one of the most prolific figures in hip-hop. He was 25 years old when he died on Sept. 13, 1996.
Detectives were in search of items belonging to the uncle of one of Shakur's rivals, according to warrant documents obtained by The Associated Press. The case is being presented to a grand jury in Las Vegas, according to a person with direct knowledge of the investigation who was not authorized to speak publicly.
The home that Las Vegas police raided in connection with the shooting of Shakur is tied to one of the only surviving witnesses to the crime, a man long known to investigators whose nephew was seen as a suspect shortly after the rapper's killing.
Watch:Tupac's sister tearfully accepts late rapper's posthumous Hollywood Walk of Fame star
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (55419)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Jimmie Allen Privately Welcomed Twins With Another Woman Amid Divorce From Wife Alexis Gale
- Massachusetts man latest to plead guilty in takedown of catalytic converter theft crew
- Photo of Queen Elizabeth II and Grandkids Was Digitally Enhanced at Source, Agency Says
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Family sorting through father's Massachusetts attic found looted Japanese art: See photos
- JetBlue is cutting unprofitable routes and leaving 5 cities
- Flaring and Venting at Industrial Plants Causes Roughly Two Premature Deaths Each Day, a New Study Finds
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Ohtani and Dodgers rally to beat Padres 5-2 in season opener, first MLB game in South Korea
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Trump is suing ABC News and George Stephanopoulos for defamation. Here's what to know about his claim.
- Meagan Good Confirms Boyfriend Jonathan Majors Is The One
- Spring brings puppy and kitten litters. So make sure to keep them away from toxic plants.
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- What to know about Cameron Brink, Stanford star forward with family ties to Stephen Curry
- Alabama lawmakers approve absentee ballot, anti-diversity, equity and inclusion bills
- Lions' Cam Sutton faces Florida arrest warrant on alleged domestic violence incident
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Save 35% on the Eyelash Serum Recommended by Luann de Lesseps, Lala Kent, Paige DeSorbo & More Celebs
Megan Fox Confirms Machine Gun Kelly Engagement Was Once Called Off: Where They Stand Now
EPA issues new auto rules aimed at cutting carbon emissions, boosting electric vehicles and hybrids
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Bill would require Rhode Island gun owners to lock firearms when not in use
Drake Bell calls out 'Ned's Declassified' stars for appearing to mock Nickelodeon abuse allegations
Who is Mark Robinson? The GOP nominee for North Carolina governor has a history of inflammatory remarks