Current:Home > StocksBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Secure Horizon Growth
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 14:26:19
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Russia’s Supreme Court effectively outlaws LGBTQ+ activism in a landmark ruling
- From tapas in Vegas to Korean BBQ in Charleston, see Yelp's 25 hottest new restaurants
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Dakota Johnson Are Fifty Shades of Twinning in Adorable Photo
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Texas Supreme Court hears arguments to clarify abortion ban
- Families of Palestinian students shot in Vermont say attack was targeted: 'Unfathomable'
- 3 dead, 1 injured after Ohio auto shop explosion; cause is under investigation
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Thunder guard Josh Giddey being investigated by police on alleged relationship with underage girl
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- In Venezuela, harmful oil spills are mounting as the country ramps up production
- Mark Cuban says he's leaving Shark Tank after one more season
- Aaron Rodgers cleared for return to practice, opening window for possible Jets comeback
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- U.S. military Osprey aircraft crashes into ocean off Japan's coast killing at least 1, official says
- College Football Playoff rankings winners and losers: Top five, Liberty get good news
- Taylor Swift celebrates Spotify top artist 'gift' with release of 'From the Vault' track
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Study says the US is ill-prepared to ensure housing for the growing number of older people
Democrat Liz Whitmer Gereghty ends run for NY’s 17th Congressional District, endorses Mondaire Jones
Electric vehicles have almost 80% more problems than gas-powered ones, Consumer Reports says
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
House Speaker Mike Johnson has reservations about expelling George Santos, says members should vote their conscience
Top diplomats arrive in North Macedonia for security meeting as some boycott Russia’s participation
K9 trainer loses 17 dogs in house fire on Thanksgiving Day; community raises money